Contact us for a free, no obligation first interview
phone icon1300 1 LEGAL

Family Law – Children

Relationship breakdowns cause trauma, and can be emotional, complex and quite stressful. Our solicitors will approach your matter by listening, with sensitivity and understanding and provide reliable, logical and timely advice.

Our approach is to help with negotiations or mediation as first priority, and where necessary, advocate your matter in Court. Our solicitors are trained in advocacy, and, where possible, will appear for you before the Courts.

Our solicitors are able to advise you regarding both children and property matters.

When you separate from a de facto partner or husband/wife and you have children together, arrangements need to be made for where the children are to live and who they will spend time and communicate with.Our solicitors are able to assist with discussing different arrangements which are in the best interests of your children. They are further able to assist with obtaining a parenting plan or Court orders (if required) setting out an arrangement. This can be done by consent or through litigation.In addition our solicitors can assist in the following areas:-

  • Applications for an Airport watch list order preventing your child from leaving any international port of departure;
  • Applications for Recovery orders where your children have been removed from your care as the primary carer of the child;
  • Child abduction under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspect of International Child Abduction – where your child has been removed from their country of habitual residence without your consent;
  • Mediation;
  • Child maintenance orders;
  • Applications to the Court for a passport for your child where the other parent is withholding consent
  • Representing third parties (such as aunts, uncles or grandparents) who have been denied time with a child who they have a significant relationship with.


Mediation is way of settling a dispute without having to attend court. You can attend mediation concerning property and/or children’s issues. A mediation regarding property is called a Conciliation Conference.The Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) requires separating couples to attempt to mediate their dispute before applying to the Family Court or Federal Magistrates’ Court for children’s parenting orders.Our solicitors can assist with scheduling and attending a mediation conference through either Roundtable Dispute Management and Victoria Legal Aid, or through a private mediator.

Our Fees

Our priority is to assist in resolving your matter in the most cost effective way, and to minimise the emotional trauma that a Family law dispute can entail. Our fees are transparent and discussed with you at the beginning of your matter. In some matters, such as Interventions Orders, Divorce, Criminal Law and Conveyancing our fees are capped to one lump sum fee.

If you do not have immediate access to funds but you own your own property our solicitors are able to discuss with you the option of signing an Equitable Charge which would allow us to place a caveat on your property to secure any outstanding costs.